If there is one thing that I am, that’s a fan of chocolate. I’m not as bad as I used to be though.. I used to eat it more than I do now. Perhaps the excitement is wearing off? Who knows.
Half of our kids love chocolate, the other half do not – the ones who do, well… I would prefer to make something decent. When they ask for brownies, all I can think of is SUGAR. Lots of sugar.
And we recently debunked the “brownies always need sugar” myth, because we CAN and do make them with Raw Honey – they turned out amazingly well. One thing that also works well is Quinoa.
Thankfully, we have an Instant Pot, and Quinoa cooks in just ONE minute (then it “rests” for ten). At that point, there should be no reason to not incorporate Quinoa into brownies – right? Combined with Avocados … they really are deliciously fudgy. So fudgy you would NEVER know that there is Quinoa OR a half of an Avocado in there.
Even better.. my kids had no idea either, because they came back for seconds.
My husband has a bad bad habit of slicing an Avocado for dinner, and leaving the other half in the fridge. Then slicing a new one the next day. And leaving that half in the fridge. Instead of throwing them when they turn brown, I just remove the pit and slice off the brown and it reveals a nice, beautiful GREEN color – perfect to use in this recipe.
- 1/2 C. Quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 Avocado
- 2 Eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 C. Raw Honey
- 1/2 C. Organic Cacao Powder
- 1/4 C. Milk (use Raw Milk, or Almond Milk if you wish)
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- Optional: 1/4 C. Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add the ingredients to a GOOD powered blender, or food processor, and blend well - you can add the Baking Powder and Baking Soda at the end.
- Grease a 9x9" baking dish with coconut oil or olive oil.
- Pour the brownies into the baking dish once mixed, and level out.
- Optional: Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on top.
- Turn down the heat to 325, and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let sit until cool, then cut.
- Keep covered at room temp for up to 2 days - or refrigerate.