It’s pretty incredible when you can transform something that is typically somewhat unhealthy, and develop it into something that’s incredibly amazing for your children to eat.
Such as the case with these flourless, brownie muffins. At first.. I wasn’t sure I would be able to pull it off. After all, chickpeas in brownies? They have to taste odd – right?
That couldn’t be farther from the truth. My family had NO idea that there was chickpeas in these brownies and 2 batches later, they still have no idea what I put in them.
When it comes to making lunchbox additions for my kids, I tend to be rather selective. Just a few months ago, I found a need to reduce the amount of grains they were consuming in efforts to improve their dental health (read about that here). They don’t need refined sugar – so opting for maple syrup is a better option.
To be able to make them something like a chocolate brownie cupcake without flour is great – it’s important that they eat better, but at the same time, we don’t want them to feel deprived, either. These brownie muffins are moist and full of chocolatey, brownie flavor – without a single hint of chickpeas being in the batter. Isn’t that amazing?!
I thought so too!
While canned chickpeas is the easier way to whip these brownies together, we didn’t have a can to spare – so we used dry chickpeas – and placed them in our Instant Pot with a few cups of water for 40 minutes. The result was perfectly cooked chickpeas that we drained and tossed in our food processor.
- 15 oz can of chickpeas, drained
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 C. maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 C. cocoa powder
- 1/4 C. chocolate chips + additional for the top of each brownie muffin
- Preheat your oven 350 degrees F.
- Line your 12 ct muffin tin with muffin liners.
- Place all ingredients in your food processor or, high quality blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the batter in the muffin cups.
- Top each brownie muffin with 4-5 chocolate chips - push into the muffin.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely and enjoy.