One of my favorite DIYs to throw together is soap – being able to make my own fun soap with just a few simple ingredients is both rewarding and fun at the same time.
Ok.. I admit, DIYs may be a bit addictive too 😉
We have made so many different essential oil DIYs over the last few years – from lip gloss to bath bombs, sugar scrub bars and even foaming hand soap. DIY’ing your own beauty items is the best way to avoid the toxic chemicals in commercial items and have fun at the same time.
These creamsicle heart soap bars are SO stinkin’ easy to make and something even your kids could be involved with. Instead of using traditional lye, we’re using an organic shea butter base, and adding sweet almond oil, tangerine and orange essential oils and vanilla extract.
Aren’t they adorable??!! I would LOVE to receive these as a gift!
We used these cute soap molds (which could also be used for many other DIYs!) and in just a matter of a few hours we had our own creamsicle soap.
Not only are they soft and smooth, they smell incredible and are perfect to wrap up for the holidays and gift to family, friends and even teachers!
Start with an organic shea butter soap base – ours wasn’t scored, but yours might be (depending on the brand you choose). If yours is scored, you’ll want to go with 5-6 squares, but we just eyeballed and scored on our own (about 1/2 -3/4 C.) . It’s almost better to have extra than not enough, and if your molds are larger like ours then more is best.
Place the squares in a glass, Pyrex measuring cup, and melt on 20-25 second intervals until they are all completely melted. Carefully remove from the microwave, and add the sweet almond or fractionated coconut oil, vanilla extract and essential oils. Stir well – a popsicle stick works great for this because you can toss when you are done.
Once blended, carefully pour into your choice of silicone mold (we used a heart mold) and push to the rear of the counter (away from little hands!)
Allow the soap to cool in the molds at room temperature for at least an hour if not more. Once they are hardened, they are ready to pop out of the molds. They can take anywhere from 1 hour to a few hours to harden.
Keep in a glass jar or wrap up and give as gifts!
Creamsicle Shea Butter Hand Soap
These fragrant creamsicle shea butter hand soaps are incredibly easy to make and beautiful to give as gifts to family or friends!
- Silicone heart mold
- Organic shea butter soap base
- 1.5 tbsp. sweet almond oil or jojoba oil
- 10 drops vitamin c serum
- 15 drops orange essential oil (what we use)*
- 12 drops tangerine essential oil (what we use)*
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract or 2 drops vanilla essential oil
*Citrus oils are photosensitive. Keep in mind that when using on exposed areas, refrain from going out in the sun for 12-48 hours.
- In a glass Pyrex measuring cup, add 1/2 – 3/4 C. shea butter pour and melt that you have cut into small squares. Place the cup in the microwave and zap at 20-30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Once melted, carefully remove from the microwave and add the sweet almond or jojoba oil, vitamin C serum, essential oil and vanilla extract. Quickly stir to combine – a popsicle stick works great for this!
- Pour into your silicone mold, then push the mold to the rear of the counter and allow to cool (at least 1 hour if not longer). Once the soaps are cool and have hardened, pop out of the mold and store in a glass jar or wrap as gifts.
*To wash your Pyrex cup after you pour your soap into molds, wipe the remaining residue with a thick paper towel or napkin, discard, and then wash as usual.