It’s great when you can find a really wonderful dinner idea to use up shredded chicken ~ and even better when you can stretch that chicken out a few days to make some really amazing meals.
Sure.. you can use shredded chicken for tacos, burritos, and even chimichangas, but being able to make a casserole out of your shredded chicken is just easy – in most cases.
This casserole was a great way for us to use up shredded chicken leftover from this recipe we mentioned HERE (Mexican Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot) – which was AMAZING. But we made more than enough for one night…
So we had to use the remainder.
We changed this recipe up a bit, too – the original calls for ham deli meat, but we don’t usually eat pork, so we left the ham out and it still came out delicious.
If you use ham let us know how it turns out for you!
- 1 lb. Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, cooked & shredded (or 2 1/2 C. shredded chicken)
- 10 slices of Swiss Cheese
- Optional: 12 slices of Deli Ham
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Tbsp Organic, All Purpose Unbleached Flour
- 3 C. Milk (we used Raw)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper or, 2 drops Black Pepper Vitality Essential Oil (we use Young Living)
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 1 1/2 C. Bread Crumbs
- 1 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh Parsley, minced
- Preheat your oven to 350 and coat a 9x13 baking dish with butter and set aside.
- Line the bottom of the baking dish with shredded chicken.
- Lay the ham on top of the shredded chicken, and then top with swiss cheese. If you opt out of ham, just lay cheese atop the chicken and proceed with the remaining steps.
- For the sauce, grab a skillet and over medium heat, melt the butter, and mix in the flour to make a roux. Then add the milk and stir continuously until the sauce thickens.
- Add the dijon mustard, paprika and pepper, and stir until well blended and once it starts to thickens, take off the stove.
- Pour that mixture over the chicken, ham and cheese.
- In a small skillet, melt the butter, and stir in the bread crumbs, garlic, and pepper. Once combined, spread over the top of the casserole and top with chopped parsley.
- Pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
See more recipes by heading back HERE.