This incredible recipe for Buttermilk Syrup turns buttermilk and sugar into delicious pancake syrup in less than ten minutes!
This is the syrup that everyone needs to have in their kitchen. No breakfast is complete without this sweet, warm, delicious buttermilk syrup drizzled over everything imaginable.
Or maybe drizzled over freshly made waffles.
You could even pour it on your rice pudding – oh how about bread pudding? Yum!
The best part about this syrup is that it only takes a few minutes to throw together. Your family will never ever in a million years want to go back to anything else.
This syrup tastes so good, my kids have even commented that it tastes like a “warm cinnamon roll fresh out of the oven”! (And I’ll definitely take that!)
Homemade Buttermilk Syrup Recipe
Without having made this syrup before, you might be wondering if it’s really, truly better than bottled syrup. It is 150% better than ANYTHING else you’ll ever have!
- Gather together a few simple ingredients – butter (not margarine!), granulated sugar, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla extract.
- Cut your stick of butter into cubes so it melts faster once you put it in the pan.
- Add the butter, buttermilk and granulated sugar together in a saucepan. You don’t want anything too small!
- Bring the mixture to a boil on low/medium – let it boil for a good 30 seconds then turn the stove off. Add the baking soda and vanilla extract and give it a really good stir.
- Pour into a decanter or a syrup jar and enjoy it warm – over fresh pancakes, waffles, or even rice pudding!
If you have any remaining, place it in the fridge. Then simply warm it up before serving again (as the butter will stiffen up with refrigeration!) Serve this syrup over:
- Fluffy Kefir Pancakes
- Vanilla Rice Pudding
- Silver Dollar Almond Flour Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Pancakes
The list could go on and on! This recipe is such a cinch to make that you won’t go back to anything else – this is just too good!
- 1/2 C butter cubed
- 1/2 C buttermilk
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Heat butter, buttermilk and sugar in a small skillet or pot on the stove over low/medium heat until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in vanilla extract and baking soda until combined.
- Immediately serve over pancakes, waffles, french toast or rice pudding.
- Make sure you use a large enough saucepan as the mixture will boil up once you add the vanilla extract and baking soda.
- Serve immediately (warm); refrigerate leftover syrup and heat prior to serving (as the butter will stiffen up the mixture).
If you give this recipe a try, please leave a comment, rate the recipe and be sure to tag me on Instagram!