These Broccoli & Cheddar Hush Puppies are AMAZING! They use the stems of the Broccoli instead of the head — a great way to use up your Broccoli without waste!
Even more… the kids will love them! Dip in homemade ranch for an all around super treat.
It’s pretty rare for us to use oil and fry food – I don’t even own a deep fryer and never have. But when I came across this recipe it looked to good to pass up… I didn’t use much oil in the skillet, in fact, I only put a little in there to fry them up.
If you don’t keep Cornmeal around your home, it’s one of our TOP pantry staples – we get ours on Amazon (four bags of Organic Cornmeal is just $11!) It’s important to buy Organic Cornmeal – although you can get regular anywhere for probably less… almost everything “non” Organic is GMO — not a safe bet if you are concerned about what you eat.
- 3 Eggs
- 1 1/2 C. Organic Cornmeal
- 1 C. Broccoli Stems, grated
- 1/2 C. Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/4 C. Buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Parsley
- 3/4 tsp Baking Power
- 1/8 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground Pepper
- Olive Oil or Coconut Oil for frying
- Homemade Ranch Dressing for Dipping
- 4 Tbsp Buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- Chopped Chives or Parsley
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- For the Hush Puppies, mix the cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and black pepper until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs and buttermilk until combined - then stir in the broccoli stems, cheese and parsley and mix well.
- Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until well blended.
- Heat up your skillet with vegetable oil (2-3") and drop the batter by rounded Tablespoons and cook on medium on each side until light brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a plate with napkins.
- While those are cooling, mix the ingredients for the homemade dressing and use that as a dipping sauce for the Hugh Puppies (refrigerate any leftover dressing!)