Bean Salad is one of the most incredible side dishes – not only is it easy to make, it requires no mixer, no oven.. just a simple bowl or two along with a refrigerator, which all of us should have. Right? 😉
Last week I made a little too many garbanzo beans in my Instant Pot … refrigerated the leftovers. One of our kids opened up a can of green beans by accident instead of tomato paste.. and because I hated to throw both out, this salad was the solution.
Easy – inexpensive, and really addictive!
If you don’t have canned beans, you could also use dry beans – if you have an Instant Pot, you can add 1/4 C. of each bean in its dry form to the Instant Pot and cover with a few cups of water to cook for 40 minutes on high.
Drain when you are done and carry on the recipe as if you were using canned – there really is no “right or wrong” when it comes to this salad. ANY beans will work, and the longer they sit in the vinegar/sugar solution the more flavor they’ll have.
- 1 14.5 oz can green beans, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can wax beans, drained
- 1 15.5 oz can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can black beans, drained
- 1 14.5 oz can kidney beans, drained
- 1/2 C. chopped celery
- 1/2 C. chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 C. chopped onion
- 1/2 C. vinegar
- 1/2 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Combine the beans, peppers, onions and celery in a large bowl and mix well.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and sugar in a bowl just until the sugar dissolves. Pour over the bean mixture.
- Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight until you are ready to serve.