Easy homemade lotion bars are such an easy way to moisturize your skin – and are equally as wonderful to make as gifts!
These lotion bars are incredibly simple – and can be personalized with your favorite scent of essential oil. You can incorporate cocoa butter in lieu of shea if you love the smell of chocolate – cocoa butter and orange essential oil make a wonderful combination, too!
If you are planning a make & take party these are super easy to put together – after a quick introduction, I would suggest making them at the start of the party then tucking them in the fridge to cool faster.
If you aren’t in a hurry, then leave them on the counter to harden – as that works beautifully too.
Customize with your own scent of essential oils – Lavender and Gentle Baby would be wonderful, choices for a new mom or, new baby. If you are using Citrus oils, be wary.. as they are photosensitive, so use caution if you plan on being in the sun for an extended period of time.
The ingredients you’ll need for these are fairly common items you can use in a variety of other DIY Beauty Products using Essential Oils – you can see a list of over 25 items to make, including lip gloss, body wash & more.
If you want a firmer lotion bar, then use a little more Beeswax – which might be a great option if you are incorporating at a make & take and guests will be taking them home.
We used 1 1/3 C. and they were perfect – yet, as convenient as they are, I would not recommend keeping them in your car on hot days. Especially if you are in Phoenix 😉
Looking for more DIY recipes using your Essential Oils? See our round up of 25 DIY Recipes with Essential Oils – many would be popular for a make & take event!
Homemade Lotion Bars
- 1/3 C. Coconut Oil
- 1/3 C. Shea Butter (or, substitute Cocoa Butter)
- 1/2 -2/3 C. Beeswax Pellets (2/3 C. for firmer bars)
- 30 drops of your favorite essential oil (we used Lavender)
- Silicone Mold (Heart) or, Silicone Mold (Square)
- Place your silicone mold on a flat cookie sheet.
- Gather all of your ingredients in a glass Pyrex mixing cup, and place in the microwave for 30 second bursts until melted. Your goal is to completely melt everything, including the beeswax.
- Once melted, remove from the microwave, and let rest a minute or two – then add your essential oils. Immediately pour into silicone mold and allow to cool and harden – either on the counter top or, in the refrigerator. Though refrigerating is not required, it will speed up the cooling process.
- Remove when harden and use as needed to soften and moisturize skin.
Wondering what oils we recommend? We love Young Living Essential Oils... you can do the same!
Pick up 11 Oils + a Diffuser and generous samples along this month of Feb. I’ll even reimburse you the cost of shipping 😉