Over the last week, we have been swimming in eggs.
White eggs, brown eggs, blue eggs…
… maybe not blue eggs, but tons of eggs nonetheless. 😉
Last week we returned back from spending a week in Minnesota to help some family and one of our friends sent us back with 12 dozen organic eggs, fed with organic soy-free feed from her farm just outside of town.
Having too many eggs is such a blessing – and we have been so excited to have been given the opportunity to have eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner this past week. Our kids are crazy for eggs just as much as we are too.
Now… we flipped on the oven and took the opportunity to make this delicious bacon and egg casserole – it’s low carb and incredibly easy.
Instead of using traditional bacon, we used turkey bacon – but you could also use ham or even Canadian bacon.
- 12 pastured eggs
- 2/3 C. heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 12 oz Canadian bacon, turkey bacon or thinly sliced ham, separated
- 2 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt or more, to taste
- Garnish: diced ham, fresh chives or salsa
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Liberally grease a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a medium skillet, combine the butter with the Canadian or turkey bacon or, ham - and saute until browned, 2-3 minutes.
- In the meantime, in your stand mixer, combine the eggs, heavy cream, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, black pepper and salt.
- Lay half the ham/bacon down in the bottom of a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Dice the remaining ham/bacon and add to the egg mixture.
- Pour the beaten egg mixture over the top of the ham/bacon in the casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Slice to serving plates, and garnish with additional diced ham, salsa, or fresh chives.