If there was ever an award for the most pesto-loving family, it would be at our house – spinach pesto, parsley pesto, basil pesto.. we just love pesto.
The best part about pesto is that you can make it in a matter of minutes, and the second is that you can use up a bunch of greens faster than it would take you to make anything else. It’s versatile – you can top it on salmon, stir it into pasta, and combine with cottage cheese and make a chip dip.
One of the best things about Cilantro, is that it’s only a buck at the farmers market – which means that you can whip up pesto for an incredible price. Toss in lightly toasted almonds to compliment the flavor of your pesto, a little parmesan cheese, some garlic and then drizzle in the oil as you puree it together.
- 2 bunches fresh cilantro, washed & patted dry
- 1/3 C. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and smashed
- juice of a lemon OR lime
- 1/4 C. parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C. blanched sliced almonds
- 1 tsp pink himalayan salt
- Toast the almonds on a stovetop in a medium pan until they are lightly brown. Remove from the heat.
- Add the almonds and garlic to your food processor and process until finely chopped.
- Add the lemon or lime juice, parmesan cheese, cilantro and salt.
- Pulse until finely chopped, all while adding the olive oil in slowly over time.
- Remove from the food processor and store in a tightly sealed jar or container until ready to use.