Fermented Serrano Pepper Hot Sauce
Fermented Serrano Pepper Hot Sauce, a fiery explosion of flavor, is the perfect way to use a garden bounty of peppers during their peak growing season.
Servings 64 servings
wide mouth mason jar
high quality blender
- 1.5 lb serrano peppers stems and seeds removed
- 2 Tbsp sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 onion small, sliced thin
- 32 oz filtered water
Pull the stems off the peppers and wash. Slice them down the middle with a sharp knife. Pack them into your wide-mouth quart mason jar as tightly as you can. Push the garlic and onions in there.
Stir the salt into warm water until dissolved. Allow the water to come to room temperature, then pour the water over the contents of the jar, taking care to cover the peppers completely.
Place a fermentation weight over the chiles and garlic to hold them under the brine. Or push a jelly jar in the mouth of the wide mouth canning jar (removing a bit of brine may be required).
Place the fermenting lid and airlock on the jar and seal tightly. Allow the jars to sit at room temperature for up to 10 days. The peppers should start to bubble around the end of day 1.
Transfer the chiles and brine to a high quality blender. Blend like crazy.
You have two options: strain the pulp through several fine layers of cheesecloth. Then bottle up and store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Or, pour the sauce directly into hot sauce bottles without straining through cheesecloth (it'll be much thicker).
- Recipe above will make a generous 17 oz of fermented hot sauce - though the final amount will depend on how much reserved liquid brine you add during the blending stage.
- Fermented hot sauce makes wonderful gifts for family and friends. Pick up hot sauce bottles and divide between for easy gift-giving.
- This ferment uses a 3% brine - you are not required to use all of the brine. Once you mix the brine, you can use any extra to make more fermented hot sauce or toss.
Calories: 4kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 219mg | Potassium: 35mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 100IU | Vitamin C: 5mg | Calcium: 2mg | Iron: 1mg