One of the best reasons to pick up an Instant Pot is to allow yourself the opportunity to make more meals at home and save money in the process.
When you can make orange chicken in a few minutes, you save the heartache of opening up your wallet at restaurants like Panda Express that can easily cost $20 – $40 if not more – especially if you are a large family.
Just a few weeks ago we had a friend that made us some amazing Orange Marmalade with oranges she had gathered from her backyard. The marmalade was amazing on toast but I wanted to keep it to make orange chicken.
Since Mondays and Wednesdays are track practice nights for the kids, it’s the perfect opportunity to make a FAST dinner that can be done in minutes – and allow us to get out the door. Y’all may never believe me on this, but since we picked up our Instant Pot in 2015, we have made over 100 recipes — of them all, this one right here is my absolute favorite.
I could eat this for days and never get tired of it.
(Ok… maybe I’m stretching it!) But seriously – I love it.
If you are looking for a good Soy Sauce alternative, AllRecipes has one here that includes beef bouillon, dark molasses an balsamic vinegar. You’ll want to be careful though – many types of bouillon have soy (organic doesn’t seem to though!)
When making this orange chicken in the Instant Pot, it’s helpful if you have chicken breasts already defrosted. Using four breasts makes enough food for 5-6 people.
You can serve over rice, or go a step further and use a Veggie Slicer to spiral some noodles.
Don’t have an Instant Pot? You should think about picking one up – it’s one of the best investments you will make!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed and diced
- 1/4 C. water
- 1/4 C. soy sauce or, substitute (see above)
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 C. orange marmalade
- 2 Tbp water
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot flour (or, corn starch)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Optional: 5 drops Orange Vitality Essential Oil (we use Young Living)
- Optional: green onions, sliced for garnish
- Add the chicken, water, soy sauce (or, soy sauce alternative), brown sugar, red wine vinegar and chili powder to the instant pot - stir to combine.
- Place the lid on the instant pot, close the valve, and set the timer for manual (high) for 4 minutes.
- When the pot beeps done, do a quick release, and remove the lid. Add the 2 Tbsp water, marmalade, arrowroot flour, black pepper and sea salt (more or less to taste).
- Stir to combine and toss with the chicken, and push saute to allow the mixture to simmer until syrupy on the chicken.
- Add the essential oils at this time if you are using; otherwise, serve atop rice or next to veggie noodles and garnish with green onions.