Fall is just around the corner, and it’s time to get those soups together. Soups are huge in our house – we eat them all year long, even when it’s hot outside. The best thing about soups of any kind is that they are easy to make – you can literally throw anything in a pot and it would come out fabulous.
Ok.. I might be stretching that a bit, but you know what I mean 😉
Usually when you think of Wild Rice Soup, you assume it has chicken within – right?
Scratch the chicken, because this soup is vegetarian. We had broccoli to use up so we opted against the chicken for something green and healthy, and it worked beautifully!
We used our Instant Pot to whip up this soup – one of the best reasons to have one is that you can walk away and let it cook, and a short time later it’ll beep when done. Since we’ve had our Instant Pot (2015) we haven’t had a reason to pull out our Slow Cooker because the Instant Pot actually has a slow cooker function. Not to mention it cooks in a fraction of the time.
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 C. vegetable broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 C. wild rice
- 2 C. broccoli florets, steamed (stems removed, just florets)
- 3 C. half and half or, whole milk (we used raw)
- 2 tsp sea salt*
- Optional: garnish with sliced green onions, parmesan cheese, and/or sliced pecans.
- In your Instant Pot, add the Olive Oil, and saute the onion, carrots, and garlic for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, and rice.
- Place the cover on the Instant Pot, and close the valve. Set the pot to manual (high) for 23 minutes.
- When the pot beeps (finished), release the pressure, and carefully remove the lid.
- Add the broccoli florets and half and half (or, milk) - I would not recommend using low fat milk.
- Add salt to taste, stir to combine. Ladle into bowls.
- Top with green onion (optional), sliced pecans and/or parmesan cheese.
- *If using regular iodized table salt, cut back to 1 tsp, or more to taste.
See more of our favorite Instant Pot Recipes – including Bone Broth, Mahi Mahi, Corn on the Cob, Soups & more.