I don’t know anyone who doesn’t love a good bowl of Chicken Chile Verde ~ here in Arizona it’s pretty popular, next to a plate of warm tortillas and a little lime or lemon… it’s definitely some comfort food.
I first had Chicken Chile Verde in New Mexico ~ about ten years ago… delicious, amazingly spicy for me – but then I can’t handle too much heat in my food so I have to keep it light on spicy 🙂
My husband loves to have Chicken Chile Verde, but for the last few years he has avoided anything spicy… when I made this, I had the notion of taking it to my in laws for dinner. I really did feel a little bad though because I saw my husband drooling by the pot in the kitchen and he couldn’t really have any…
I think you could pretty much say that I’m addicted to my Instant Pot – it’s our electric pressure cooker. I have had it for 5 months and every day I am looking for something NEW to make with it.
Why so much excitement over this appliance?
It’s so versatile – we can make everything from hard boiled eggs to soup, to cheesecake and even our own yogurt. It truly is pretty amazing – it cuts down our cooking time drastically… I can literally have dinner on the table in 10-15 minutes.
The best part about this Chicken Chile Verde is that it won’t take you longer than 30 minutes to make – AND, as long as you can dump things in a pot, it’ll be a success.
Rough chop the vegetables.
Dump them all in.
Add just a BIT (1/4 C.) of liquid – chicken broth if you wish. Then push a button.
That’s just incredible – right?
You might want an Immersion Blender (if you don’t have one) – you will need it at the end.
If your hands are sensitive like mine are, make sure you wear some gloves when handling the chiles ~ they might not seem hot offhand.. but once you cut them and throw them in the pot, you’ll find your hands burning (at least I did).
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
- 2 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts OR.. 3 lbs. Bone-in (Skin on) Chicken Thighs & Drumsticks
- 3 Poblano Peppers, roughly chopped, seeds tossed
- 2 Anaheim Peppers, roughly chopped, seeds & stems discarded
- 2 Serrano OR Jalapeno Chiles, roughly chopped, seeds and stems discarded
- 1 medium White Onion, quartered
- 6 medium Garlic Cloves, peeled
- 1 Tbsp Whole Cumin Seed, toasted & ground
- Salt & Pepper
- Optional: 1/2 C. Cilantro Leaves
- Optional: 1 Tbsp Asian Fish Sauce
- In the Instant Pot, add the Coconut Oil & turn push Saute.
- Add the chicken (bone-in has much more flavor than boneless)
- Top the chicken with the Poblano Peppers, Anaheim Peppers, Serrano or Jalapeno, Onion, Garlic, Cumin, and Salt.
- Add 1/4 C. Chicken Broth.
- Lock the lid on the Instant Pot and set for Manual (High) for 15 minutes.
- When the pot beeps (is done), remove chicken and shred - set aside.
- If you are using Cilantro & Fish Sauce, add at this time, then use your immersion blender to blend, then season with salt & pepper.
- Remove the bones from the chicken, and add the shredded chicken to the sauce - mix well.
- Serve with warm tortillas, chopped cilantro, and wedges or lemon or lime.